Younger onset dementia, learning disabilities and diversity in dementia care delivered by Dementia trainer Buz Loveday
This one-day course, split over two consecutive days will enable delegates to recognise the impact of dementia on a diverse range of groups and know how to support younger people and those with learning disabilities who develop dementia
Delegates must attend part 1 & 2 to complete the course
Who should attend?
Anyone who works in a service that supports adults of any age and those with learning disabilities
This course is a virtual course run via Zoom or Teams - joining instructions will be sent to via diary invite a week before the course date.
Please note, this course will have regular breaks for participants so please ensure you take yourself away from the screen. The course is aimed to be interactive.
The aim of the course is to help you understand how dementia can impact on a diverse range of groups including younger people and those with learning disabilities, and gain skills in supporting people who develop dementia. This will be achieved through an interactive session involving the use of powerpoint, video, various group activities and handouts to back up all the learning.
By the end of the session, delegates will:
• Understand some key facts about dementia and be able to challenge stigma, myths and stereotypes about dementia
• Understand the impact of dementia on people from ethnically diverse communities
• Be aware of the prevalence and impact of younger onset dementia
• Be aware of some specific needs and rights of younger people with dementia and their families
• Understand the impact of dementia on people with learning disabilities and know how dementia can be identified in this group
• Know how to interpret and respond to changing needs when a person with a learning disability develops dementia
• Understand how to support people with learning disabilities to maintain well-being in the face of dementia
Please be aware that by making this booking and agreeing to the terms and conditions, you are confirming you have your managers authorisation to attend this training and are aware of the cancellation/non-attendance charges that apply.